Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Farm Share Week #2

Week 2, and we're still in the very green of early season. Today's take included a napa cabbage, head of (beautiful) lettuce, bunch of scallions, and fennel (squee!). The fruit share was 3 fragrant lovely quarts of strawberries. Bread and cheese this week too! And, I ordered a flat of strawberries - so 11 quarts in total.

3 of the quarts are in the freezer as we speak. I washed and hulled the berries, then put them in the freezer on baking sheets to firm up before transferring them to Ziploc bags. This way they freeze separately instead of in a big red mass.

 I'm canning on Thursday, so I'm still musing about what jams to make. Certainly a strawberry jam, possible one with lavender, and preserves. I'm also planning on breaking out the dehydrator for some fruit leather, and dried strawberries. 

Bella mugs with our goods:


2 comments:

  1. Remember when your family grew strawberries along the fence... I admit it - I used to steal them :)

    I'm surprised you don't have your own huge garden where you're living now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do have a (small) garden here now, but our lot is very shady. Strawberries are meant to be shared :)

    ReplyDelete